Vegan Pound CakeThis post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
This vegan pound cake is sweet, rich, dense, and so delicious! The comforting vanilla flavor, buttery cake, and simple glaze compliment each other perfectly. With only 10 minutes of prep, you can whip up this easy snack or dessert recipe in no time. Share it with friends at your next party or have a slice for an afternoon pick me up or evening treat!
If you’ve been on the search for a plant-based dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth, this easy vegan pound cake will check all the boxes! The best part? This recipe is super versatile and customizable. Try adding in fresh berries or lemon flavor to switch things up!
A traditional pound cake recipe requires one pound of sugar, one pound of butter, one pound of flour, and one pound of eggs as the main ingredients. This eggless pound cake is a healthier, vegan-friendly twist with a moist texture and amazing flavor. You will love this perfect treat!
You can top this easy vanilla vegan cake with your favorite ice cream or try it with my lychee ice cream or vegan matcha ice cream for some fun variations. My favorite way to enjoy this pound cake is with my afternoon tea! It is the perfect moment of self-care to break up the busy work day.
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Packed with delicious vanilla flavor
- Perfect moist texture
- Gluten free option
- 10 minute prep time
- Kid-friendly recipe
- Dairy free and eggless
- Best vegan pound cake recipe!
Latest Recipe Video!
Good news! This vegan pound cake recipe only requires a few simple ingredients. You will likely already have many of these items in your pantry! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for exact measurements.
- All Purpose Flour: For the best texture, use all purpose flour in this eggless pound cake. You can also use almond flour, oat flour, or all purpose gluten free flour.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is one of the most popular leavening agents for cake. It will help this vegan pound cake recipe rise, giving a light, fluffy texture.
- Sugar & Salt: Using cane sugar, coconut sugar, or brown sugar will work perfect for this vanilla vegan cake! Maple sugar is a good option, too. Sea salt will enhance the flavors and compliment the sweetness!
- Vegan Butter: Any vegan butter will work in this recipe. For the healthiest option, try to avoid ones that contain canola oil. You could also use olive oil for a no butter pound cake with rich, intriguing flavor.
- Vanilla Extract: For a delicious vegan vanilla pound cake, you have to use vanilla extract! I recommend using pure vanilla extract for the best taste.
- Vegan Sour Cream: Making a vegan sour cream cake helps add moisture and richness to the recipe. You could also use unsweetened dairy-free yogurt or cream cheese. A vegan cream cheese pound cake will have a subtle tang and smooth, moist texture.
- Almond Milk: Vanilla cake with almond milk is great for a vegan option. Make sure the milk is unsweetened to avoid an overly sweet dessert. If you want to make a vegan buttermilk for an extra moist vegan cake, add 1 tbsp lemon juice and set aside to let the mixture process.
- For The Glaze: Powdered sugar and almond milk create the perfect sweet glaze for this egg free pound cake. You’ll get a silky smooth texture that evenly coats the top of the cake. Almond milk is great for this glaze but you can use any plant milk of your choice, like soy milk or oat milk.
Making a pound cake isn’t much different from a regular cake! You’ll be pleasantly surprised by just how easy it is to prepare and bake! It only takes a few simple steps that are easy to follow along with. Here is how to make this recipe for vegan pound cake!
Preheat The Oven, Mix Dry Ingredients: Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F / 160 C. Line a 9” x 5” loaf tin with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
Mix Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl whisk together the melted vegan butter, vanilla extract, vegan sour cream and almond milk. You can use a hand mixer on low speed, if desired.
Mix Dry & Wet Ingredients: Pour the liquid ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until combined with a whisk or electric mixer on medium speed. Do not over mix the batter.
Bake The Cake: Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean from the center of the cake. After cooking for 30 minutes place a sheet of foil over the top of the cake to stop it from browning too quickly.
Let Cool: When cooked, remove and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cooling completely on a cooling rack.
Prepare The Glaze: To prepare the glaze, mix the powdered sugar and 1 tbsp almond milk together in a small bowl until smooth. Adjust thickness by adding more almond milk if you’d like a thinner glaze.
Drizzle The Glaze: Once the cake is completely cold, drizzle the glaze over top. Serve immediately.
💭 Expert Tips
- Do not over mix. Over-mixing the batter will cause the cake to be very tough and overly dense. You want a vanilla vegan cake recipe that comes out soft, fluffy, and moist.
- The glaze is completely optional. If you’d like to reduce sugar or save time, you can skip the glaze. However, it does add another delicious layer to this scrumptious cake.
- Let the cake cool completely. Ensure the cake is completely cold before drizzling the glaze over top. If the cake is still warm the glaze will melt.
- Cover with foil after 30 minutes of baking. Placing a sheet of foil over the cake halfway through cooking helps to prevent the cake from burning.
- Make it a bundt cake. You can make this a vegan bundt cake recipe by simply pouring the batter into a bundt pan instead!
- Make It Low Sugar Or Sugar Free: There are a few ways to create a low sugar pound cake. You can either just cut the sugar in the recipe in half or you can skip the glaze altogether. For a sugar free pound cake, use stevia or monk fruit.
- Vegan Lemon Pound Cake Recipe: Lemon lovers, you will be in heaven with this version! Make an eggless lemon pound cake using lemon zest in the pound cake batter. You can make a lemon glaze with 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp almond milk, and 1 cup powdered sugar. You can also use lemon extract, but it won’t taste as fresh.
- Vegan Chocolate Pound Cake: For a delicious chocolate cake, add in cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Using dark chocolate chunks adds a lovely decadence to the cake! Try out some of my other chocolate cake recipes too, like this chocolate orange cake.
- Vegan Gluten Free Pound Cake: To make this recipe gluten free substitute the all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour or almond flour. The texture may be a bit different from a regular pound cake, but it will still be absolutely delicious.
- Vegan Strawberry Pound Cake: Using the vanilla pound cake base, add in fresh chopped strawberries to the batter. This also pairs really well with almond extract added into the recipe! Try it with my strawberry milk tea for the ultimate experience.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
It is easy to serve this vegan vanilla loaf cake! Simply let it cool, slice, and serve. You can top the cake with fresh berries or other fresh fruit. Here are some of our favorite ways to serve this cake:
- Top With Fresh Fruit: Serve your vegan pound cake with a side of fresh fruit like strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries.
- Creamy Toppings: Add a dollop of whipped cream, coconut whipped cream, or vegan ice cream for an extra tasty treat.
- Pair With A Warm Drink: This vegan vanilla almond pound cake goes great with hot coffee or tea! Try it with this Biscoff latte or this mocha latte for a decadent breakfast, or if you’re not a fan of coffee, serve it alongside this golden latte!
- Drizzles: In addition to, or instead of the glaze, add a drizzle of vegan chocolate sauce, caramel, or even just spread a slice with vegan butter!
There are typically two reasons why your vegan cake may not be fluffy.
1. You may have used too little baking powder, or your baking powder isn’t fresh.
2. You may have over mixed the cake batter. While pound cake is a more dense cake naturally, you still want to be cautious of over mixing to ensure you get the perfect texture.
Be sure to measure out ingredients carefully with a measuring cup and precisely follow instructions for the best vegan pound cake results!
Most boxed cake mixes do happen to be vegan, but require non-vegan ingredients. To make a pound cake vegan using boxed mix, you will have to substitute for plant-based ingredients. You can use any vegetable oil or melted coconut oil, an egg substitute, and dairy free milk.
While the Sara Lee brand does offer some plant based desserts, their classic pound cake is not vegan. It contains eggs, butter, and milk protein concentrate. Luckily, making a dairy free pound cake recipe at home is easy and only requires 10 minutes of prep time. Homemade vegan pound cake is also much healthier and does not contain unnecessary ingredients or preservatives.
Let the cake cool to room temperature on the wire rack before storing. Place the cake in an airtight container or wrap securely in plastic wrap. You can store the cake in the fridge for up to 5 days. Vegan poundcake can also be sliced and frozen without the glaze in an airtight container for up to 2 months. If you’re serving this cake from frozen, let the cake thaw in the fridge overnight, and make the glaze (and add to the cake) right before you plan to serve it.
🍰 More Delicious Cake Recipes!
- Peach Cobbler Pound Cake
- Healthy Smash Cake
- Protein Powder Mug Cake
- Chocolate Walnut Cake
- Vegan Olive Oil Cake
- Keto Coffee Cake
- Peach Cupcakes
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- Blueberry Cake Donuts
- Sugar Free Chocolate Cake
Love this Plant based dessert recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
🎥 Watch How to Make It
Vegan Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F / 160 C. Line a 9” x 5” loaf pan with baking paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the melted vegan butter, vanilla extract, vegan sour cream and almond milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined. Do not over mix the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. After cooking for 30 minutes place a sheet of foil over the top of the cake to stop it from browning too quickly.
- When cooked, remove and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cooling completely on a cooling rack.
- To prepare the glaze, mix the powdered sugar and 1 tbsp almond milk together in a small bowl until smooth. Adjust thickness by adding more almond milk if you’d like a thinner glaze.
- Once the cake is completely cold drizzle the glaze over top.
- Store the cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Coconut yogurt can be substituted for vegan sour cream if desired.
- Any plant based milk will work in this recipe.
- Do not over mix the batter as this will cause the cake to be very tough.
- The glaze is completely optional however it does add another delicious layer to this scrumptious cake.
- Ensure the cake is completely cold before drizzling the glaze over top, if the cake is still warm ,the glaze will melt.
- Vegan pound cake can be sliced and frozen without the glaze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
- To make this recipe gluten free substitute the all-purpose flour for gluten free flour.
- Placing a sheet of foil over the cake halfway through cooking helps to prevent the cake from burning.