Omg you guys, I am obsessed with my Instant Pot. I use it at least once a week (sometime more) and it has made making healthy meals for dinner so much easier during the week! It’s never more than 20 min of active time, and then I literally just set and forget. It’s fantastic.
One meal that we eat fairly often is dal with sabji (or sautéed vegetables). Since I got the instant pot, I have realized that I can make sort of a dal “stew” with veggies added in! Talk about a great one pot meal with almost no cleanup.
When I’m making this sort of stew, I like to throw in any leftover veggies I have in the fridge. On this particular day, I had cauliflower, bell peppers, and carrots – but you can throw in just about any combination of vegetables you like.
This dal is a hit with my whole family – including the husband! You can make this recipe without an instant pot, but it’s just so much easier with one when you don’t have to sit there watching your lentils cook on the stove.
This yummy Indian dal “stew” is nutritious and delicious, vegetarian (and vegan) and freezes really well too – batch cooking anyone? :). It’s packed with protein, gluten-free, keeps you full forever, and tastes so good you won’t even realize it’s good for you! I like to call it my “superfood” dal because of all the great vegetables I end up adding to it (there’s always one cruciferous veggie and oftentimes either spinach or kale that I’ll throw in too).
I use Moong Dal for this recipe because it cooks down really well and becomes super creamy. For curry powder, I absolutely love Simply Organic’s Curry Powder – it has the perfect balance of heat and warm spices and gives the dal complexity of flavor.
Serve it with warm sprouted wheat tortillas, quinoa or brown rice, or top it with a dollop of lowfat plain greek yogurt for some extra protein. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Easy Instant Pot Yellow Dal
- 1 small red onion diced
- 15 oz petite diced tomatoes 1 can
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup Moong Dal
- 1/4 tsp hing
- 1-1 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz bag cauliflower florets
- 8 oz bag baby carrots
- 1 red/orange/yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/16 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 cups water
- Turn your instant pot to saute on high
- Add 1 tsp coconut oil, onion, tomatoes, garlic, ginger and saute 5 minutes or until the onion is cooked through
- In a separate small pot on the stove, add 1 tsp coconut oil and turn the heat up to high. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds & mustard seeds and cook 30 seconds until they pop. Add the cumin/mustard/coconut oil mixture to your instant pot.
- Then add the remaining ingredients (Moong dal through water) and hit the "Cancel" button. Mix to combine.
- Cover the Instant Pot with the lid, and make sure the pressure valve is closed. Pressure Cook on High and set the cooking time to 15 minutes. Allow for natural release before opening.
- Optional: Add chopped fresh cilantro when cooking is complete!