If there’s one thing I’ve learned since having our second child, it’s that cooking every night is totally not happening right now! Theoretically I could probably cook every night, but in an effort to streamline my life right now I’ve begun cooking a triple batch once every 3 days (and we just eat the same thing for 3 days). Not ideal, but better and healthier than take out every night!
So in an effort to keep things interesting in the kitchen, I’ve started experimenting with quick and easy, grab-and-go snack recipes. Layla loves to help “cook” and these types of recipes are great for getting her involved in the kitchen!
This recipe was inspired by my friends at Pepperwood Organics, the makers of the most delicious Organic Whole Tahini I have ever had!
Tahini is a great alternative to nut butter – it has the same nutritional bang-for-your buck (2 tbsp has 190 calories, 5g fiber, 0g sugar and 8g protein), and is full of healthy fats. Pepperwood Organics Tahini has just one ingredient: whole sesame seeds – which is why I love it.
And tahini is the star of these delicious energy balls. They’re perfectly sweet and feel decadent, but are only 150 calories with less than 5g sugar per serving! They are also vegan and gluten free – but you wouldn’t know it from how good they taste. These energy balls are the perfect, healthy sweet treat at the end of a long day – kid-friendly and mom-approved!
Chocolate Tahini Energy Balls
- Mix the tahini, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla well, then add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Wet your hands so that they are slightly damp, and scoop 2 or 3 tablespoons of the dough into your palm to form into a balls or a cookie shape.
- Place balls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350° F for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.