Top 10 Best Vegan Shampoo BrandsThis post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Searching for the best vegan shampoo brands just got easier! These picks for the best brands are free of animal products, cruelty-free, and are not tested on animals. Not only that, they will leave you with beautiful, shiny, healthy hair!
When I was a kid, most cosmetic products were unfortunately, not vegan or cruelty-free. But fortunately, today, the choices for the best shampoo that are also vegan friendly has become a quite a bit wider! If you purchase vegan products you can find a shampoo for all hair types.
Shampoo also comes in different forms, including the typical liquid and shampoo bars. Some are infused with essential oils that not only give them a natural scent, but also help to strengthen hair. Most brands use natural ingredients, and all vegan brands refrain from animal testing.
Unfortunately, not all brands are created equal, and some beauty companies even advertise claims that are stretching the truth when it comes to vegan friendly products. Knowing and understanding the different labels you see on your beauty products is the first step to making an informed choice. The top 10 vegan hair care products listed below are free of animal ingredients, not tested on animals, and organic and natural ingredients to achieve healthy hair!
What Do All The Labels On The Shampoo Bottle Mean?
When choosing a vegan shampoo you want to look for one that 1) has no animal derived ingredients, 2) is not tested on animals, 3) uses chemical free ingredients.
No Animal Cruelty / Cruelty-Free: I’m sure you’ve seen the picture of the little white bunny rabbit, and under the label, says cruelty-free. This symbol indicates that the product was not tested on animals.
Vegan: If a product is vegan, meaning no animal products are used, you’ll see a symbol that looks something like a circle with a “V” in the center. Sometimes the V is made to look a leaf.
Chemical Free Ingredients: This is where it gets a little tricky. When buying a vegan shampoo, you likely also want something that is going to be healthy for your hair and body, and free of chemicals. This is where you may need to do a little digging. Luckily, many brands will advertise on their bottle that they are free of certain types of chemicals.
What Chemicals Should I Avoid In Shampoo?
Before buying your next bottle of shampoo look-out for these harmful chemicals.
- Parabens: Used as a preservative, they mimic the production of estrogen and have been linked to breast cancer.
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES): A chemical that rinses out the oils in your hair, but in the process, damages hair and can make it brittle and frizzy.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS): This chemical is used to create a lather in shampoo, however it can cause eye irritation, nausea, and vomiting if ingested.
- Sodium Chloride: This is really a salt, that is used to make shampoo thicker. However, it is linked to dry, itchy scalp, and even hair loss.
- Polyethylene Glycols (PEG): A thickening agent made from petroleum, with harmful byproducts.
- Diethanolamine (DEA): Used to bind the ingredients together. But has been linked to cancer in animals.
- Triethanolamine (TEA): Another binding ingredient and foaming agent linked to cancer.
- Formaldehyde: A known human carcinogen.
- Alcohol: A drying agent that can cause already dry hair to become even more dry.
- Synthetic Fragrances: When a product has the word “fragrance” it can have numerous hidden chemicals. Stay away, as you do not know exactly what chemicals those are, and how they may effect you.
- Synthetic Colors: Many shampoos are colored to make them look more appealing. However, the colors come from petroleum or coal-tar, which can have harmful implications on humans.
- Dimethicone: This ingredient is a silicone that is used to put a protective coating on the hair. The problem is that it is the cause for product build-up in your hair, and thus cause clogged pores, and skin irritation on your scalp.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine: An agent used to create foam that can cause skin irritation, allergies, rosacea, and eczema.
- Triclosan: This chemical bacteria agent is meant to kill bacteria, but it is a known hormone disruptor, which can lead to cancer and affect fetal development.
- Retinyl Palmitate: A known skin irritant that can cause peeling, scaling, redness, and itching of the scalp.
Natural Ingredients Found In Vegan Shampoo
- Shea Butter: Used to moisturize dry hair, and helps protect against hair loss.
- Lavender Oil: Helps to soothe an itchy scalp and reduce dandruff.
- Hemp Seed Oil: Aids in hair growth.
- Vitamin E: Used to frizzy hair into smooth and manageable strands.
- Cocoa Butter: Added to shampoo as a natural moisterizer.
- Rice Protein: Added to volume shampoos, rice protein can significantly add volume and depth to hair. It has also been know to add natural highlights.
- Quinoa Protein: This natural ingredient boosts hydration and moisture by forming a protective barrier around the strands to block out heat and dryness, and lock in moisture.
Why Use Vegan Shampoo?
Healthier for Your Hair: Vegan shampoos are often healthier for your hair. They are made with plant extracts and natural oils that provide your hair with hydration, and give you that gorgeous sheen! They come in a wide variety for all hair types, so you are sure to be able to find a shampoo that works for your hair.
Better for the Planet: Instead of using harmful chemicals, the ingredients in vegan shampoos are generally better for the environment. As you wash your hair, the suds and chemicals go back into the water stream. Using a shampoo free of chemicals helps keep our water clean and safe!
No Animals Harmed: Not only do these types of shampoos refrain from using animal derived ingredients, unlike most standard brands on the shelves today, but they also do not test on animals, ensuring that our furry friends are treated with safety and respect.
Better for Your Health: The beauty industry uses numerous harmful chemicals as stated above. These chemicals can cause serious health problems long term, such as cancer, skin irritation, and even hair loss! When looking for a safe shampoo check out the EWG’s Skin Deep database. Here you can look up a variety of products to see their safety score. If a product has more than a 4 as their rating, you want to steer clear of this product!
Best Places To Buy Vegan And Cruelty Free Shampoo
Where are the best places to find vegan shampoo? You can really find it virtually anywhere! Not all stores carry every single brand, and some of the brands mentioned below are only sold online.
However, you can easily find vegan friendly shampoos at your local grocery store, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Ulta, and more! While you’re at it, pick up the complimentary vegan conditioner. See my list of the best vegan shampoo brands below!
Top 10 Vegan Shampoos
Pure Haven Supergreens Shampoo is a gentle shampoo that helps restore hair. It’s one of the best vegan shampoos on the market today. It gently cleans and nourishes your hair’s natural shine and growth. It includes antioxidants, omega-3, and omega-6 fatty acids. It also includes vegetable proteins such as kale, that is known to boost hydration, pea peptide for hydration and volume. Rosemary and mint help provide natural volume, a healthy scalp, and a refreshing, natural, non toxic scent. This shampoo works for all hair types, including color-treated hair. Even the kids can use this natural shampoo!
Organic argan oil and pumpkin provide are the key ingredients in this shampoo. They provide omega fatty acids that deeply nourish and replenish dry, damaged hair. This certified cruelty-free vegan shampoo also reduces frizz, while increasing shine and elasticity. It also supports healthy hair growth. You can also rest assured that it is paraben free, sulfate free, mineral oil free, petrolatum free and formaldehyde free!
This vegan cruelty-free shampoo is excellent for thin dry hair. It gently cleanses and nourishes fine, hair and builds volume. It’s certified organic, with a plant based formula made with organic botanicals and essential oils. Not only that it is also, non-GMO, paraben free, free of harsh preservatives, synthetic colors and fragrances, phthalates or sulfates.
This vegan shampoo bar gently cleans your hair without stripping the scalp of protective oils. It’s sulfate free, silicone free and paraben free, and contains no harsh detergents. Made with organic argan oil and scented with sweet orange and lemongrass essential oils. Made with herbs that help repair damaged hair, stimulate hair growth, soothe the scalp, and restore the natural luster to the hair. It works for all types of hair including fine, dry, and damaged hair.
This vegan haircare brand is excellent for dry and damaged hair. It repairs and hydrates. It uses virgin avocado oil extracts to rejuvenate weak, thin hair, or damaged hair. The light conditioner nourishes without weighing you down, and the shampoo gives you bounce and volume! It’s 100% vegan, cruelty-free, and non-toxic. Their formulas are free from SLS, soap, petrochemicals, formaldehyde, isothiazolinone, mineral oils, DEA, parabens, silicone, alcohol, propylene glycol, artificial colors.
This natural shampoo fights against hair loss and stimulates cell renewal to keep your hair growing long and strong. It’s a blend of Deionized Water, Seaweed, Aloe Vera, Swiss Apple, Tea Tree, Ginseng, Coconut, and more. The ingredients are all natural, vegan, and never tested on animals.
This vegan, cruelty-free brand makes a synthetic free shampoo, without added fragrances that cleans your hair, and gives you a healthy scalp! It’s a solid shampoo for day to day use, is organic and works for most hair types!
Gently removes dirt and pollutants in your hair to give your dry or damaged hair new life! With a coconut scent, it hydrates and softens your hair with natural oils, fruits, and vitamin B. Works for all types of hair, but especially dry, damaged, or color-treated hair. Vegan, and cruelty-free!
This brand has many different types of products for all hair types. This Coconut Oil and Ylang Ylang Shampoo and Conditioner for damaged hair help to repair dry hair with ylang ylang flower oil. All Love Beauty And Planet hair products are infused with Natural Coconut Oil for hair. They are also vegan, cruelty-free, and free of harmful toxic ingredients.
Marketed as the only 100% plant-based shampoo on the market, they use all plant-derived or plant-based products, and contain no synthetic or artificial ingredients. This shampoo is made from apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil and other plant botanicals. Uses organic ingredients making it gentle and safe for all hair types of hair. It’s also 100% cruelty-free!
Yes! Vegan shampoo is good for your hair. Especially when you look for ones that are free of harmful chemicals. In fact, they are healthier for your hair than the standard brands on the market. They will leave your hair full, shiny, and clean, without any harmful residue.
Vegan shampoo is usually made with mostly plant-derived ingredients. This means that you are cleaning your hair with natural ingredients that not only do not have harmful effects on you, but also the planet. They also often use organic ingredients. In addition, they are a cruelty-free product, meaning they are not tested on animals.
In general, yes, vegan shampoos are more expensive than the standard brands on the shelves of your big box stores. This is because the cost of the ingredients are more, and of higher quality.
According to their website, Dove has been cruelty-free for over 30 years. They are certified by Peta as cruelty-free. Some of their products are vegan, however, not all of them are, and none of their products are certified vegan. Some of the animal products that you may find in their products include gelatin, beeswax, honey, and similar animal by-products.
The reason most companies use animal derived ingredients is not because they are better for your hair, but because they are less expensive. They are used as fillers. Most shampoos are made from water, so these ingredients don’t improve hair, but help to thicken the product. This helps to reduce the overall cost, and increase the companies’ bottom line.
Some common shampoo brands that are not vegan include Tresemme, Garnier, and Pantene. This is not an exclusive list. These commonly used brands are also not cruelty free, meaning that they test on animals.
More Helpful Healthy Product Resources!
- Are Cheetos Vegan?
- Best Multivitamins for Women
- 10 Best Fertility Supplements for Healthy Conception
- 8 Best Organic Diapers that are Eco-Friendly
- Natural Eczema Remedies
I hope you found this post helpful, and were able to find a vegan shampoo brand that works for you and your hair. If you have any questions comment below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious, healthy, family friendly food!