20 High Protein Vegan Breakfast IdeasThis post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
These high protein vegan breakfast ideas will keep you full and satisfied all morning long. With at least 15 grams of healthy plant protein, these easy and simple breakfast ideas are perfect for any occasion.
We have all heard the old saying: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But oftentimes, we skip breakfast because we’re on the go, or we end up eating a super carb-heavy breakfast (chocolate croissant anyone?) which doesn’t keep us full for very long.
Why Is It Important To Eat A High Protein Vegan Breakfast?
Packing your mornings with with 25-30g of protein is great for a few reasons:
- It will keep you fuller much longer and will help fuel you through the morning.
- Protein is super important for the body: it is one of the building blocks of hair, bones, teeth, and of course – muscles!
- The latest research suggests that it’s not just about how much protein you need, but also about when you get your protein. Since our bodies can only use so much protein at a time, making the effort to spread your protein intake throughout the day can optimize how your body uses it.
What Proteins Can Vegans Eat For Breakfast?
If you’re vegan it’s important to know where you can get your protein in plant form. Here are a few ideas.
- Peanut Butter or Other Nut Butters: While nut butters are high in calories and fat, they are also good for you in moderation. They’re packed with protein! There is about 8 grams of protein in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Another option is to use peanut butter powder. With the same amount of protein the powder has fewer calories and fat.
- Seeds: Chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, all have a high amount of protein. Sprinkle in your smoothies, on top of your oatmeal or on your whole grain toast for added protein. One ounce of chia seeds has 5 grams of protein!
- Chickpeas, Beans, and Lentils: While you may not think about eating chickpeas, beans, or lentils at breakfast, there are many creative ways to incorporate them into your morning meal. Spread hummus on your toast, make a breakfast burrito with beans and avocado. Make savory oats with lentils. Just half a cup of chickpeas contains 15 grams of protein!
- Soy (Tofu or Tempeh): Create a vegan scramble with tofu for a high protein and healthy breakfast. A half cup of tofu has 10 grams of protein.
- Protein Powders: Adding a scoop of a high quality vegan protein powder can amp up your protein intake quickly. Most protein powders have 20 grams of protein per serving. I like to keep it simple when it comes to protein powders. Fewer ingredients are better. I usually opt for a simple pea protein, but there are many others on the market, depending on your particular needs.
- Vegetables: Yes, vegetables have protein too! Not as much as the sources above, but when added with other ingredients, the protein starts to add up. For example, broccoli has 2.5 grams of protein in one cup.
- Oats and Whole Grains: Oatmeal and other whole grains have added protein in addition to fiber and other nutrients. One cup of cooked oatmeal has 6 grams of protein.
How Much Protein Should I Include In My Vegan Breakfast?
If you’re looking to start your day with a high protein vegan breakfast, I recommend a breakfast that has at least 15 grams of protein per serving.
It may seem difficult to come up with a breakfast with that much protein, but with a little ingenuity, it’s totally possible.
High Protein Vegan Breakfast: Oatmeal and Overnight Oats
Oats are an excellent source of vegan friendly protein. When you combine your oats with other high protein sources like nuts, nut butters, seeds, and dairy-free milk, you’ll get a high protein filling breakfast.
Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats
Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats are so delicious they taste like dessert. This easy to grab and go breakfast is packed with nutritious ingredients like steel-cut oats, dairy-free yogurt, nut butter, flaxseed, fruit, cinnamon, and nuts. Prep time is just 5 minutes the night before, making this the perfect breakfast for busy mornings!
Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats by The Picky Eater (27 grams of protein)
Vegan Protein Overnight Oats
A healthy and delicious way to start the day Protein Overnight Oats with Berries has you covered! Rich and creamy with a combination of protein, complex carbohydrates, and antioxidants.
Vegan Protein Overnight Oats by Keeping the Peas (16 g of protein)
Vegan Snickers Oatmeal
This wholesome bowl of vegan snickers overnight oats has the delicious flavors of the famous candy bar but in a much more filling and healthy format. The best of both worlds!
Vegan Snickers Overnight Oats by Health My Lifestyle (17 g of protein)
High Protein Vegan Breakfast Smoothies and Parfaits
These high protein vegan smoothies are full of nutrient rich fruits and vegetables paired with plant milk and often nut butter and seeds for added protein.
Strawberry and Banana Smoothie
This Strawberry and Banana Smoothie is naturally sweet, filled with fruit, and so simple to make. With just 5 ingredients, you can easily customize this energizing smoothie with added protein powder and be sipping on it in under 5 minutes.
Strawberry and Banana Smoothie by The Picky Eater (23 g of protein)
Give yourself a burst of energy in the morning by starting your day with this five ingredient Kale Smoothie. The flavorful combination of pears, apples, kale, almond butter, protein powder, and almond milk is perfectly sweet, super satisfying, and kid-friendly too!
Kale Smoothie by The Picky Eater (20 g of protein)
Pumpkin Smoothie Bowl
With warm sweet spices, hidden veggies, and a dash of caffeine, this creamy, healthy, pumpkin spice latte smoothie bowl is the perfect way to start off your fall mornings! Ready in less than 10 minutes, and can be made kid-friendly too!
Pumpkin Latte Smoothie by The Picky Eater (15 grams of protein)
Chocolate Berry Smoothie Bowl
This Chocolate Berry Smoothie Bowl is full of chocolatey goodness but it’s still healthy and protein-packed!
Chocolate Berry Smoothie Bowl by V Nutrition and Wellness (22 g of protein)
Banana Chia Pudding
This Chia Seed Banana Peanut Butter Parfait is so delicious it taste like dessert, but it’s incredibly healthy. Each serving offers a whopping 26g of protein. We use coconut milk and vanilla pea protein powder to make this an awesome Vegan Breakfast.
Banana Chia Pudding by Cuisine and Travel (26 g of protein)
Chocolate Chia Pudding
Ten minute Chocolate Chia Pudding that tastes like dessert with nutrition of a breakfast. Refrigerate for up to 5 days for easy healthy breakfast, snack or treat.
Chocolate Chia Pudding by I Food Real (16 g of protein)
Savory High Protein Vegan Breakfast Ideas
When it comes to breakfast sometimes you want a traditional savory meal, like scrambled tofu, or even a quiche or frittata! These savory vegan meals are high in protein, and are super satisfying!
Savory Mexican Vegan Protein Bowl
This Mexican savory breakfast with quinoa recipe is so easy and delicious! It is a breakfast high in protein, great in flavor, and takes less than 30-minutes to cook and put together.
Savory Mexican Vegan Protein Bowl by Elise Tries to Cook (16 g of protein)
Farmer’s Market Tofu Scramble
Find out how to make a simple tofu scramble, or load it up with farmer’s market veggies, for an awesome plate of vegan scrambled eggs.
Farmer’s Market Tofu Scramble by Yummy Mummy Kitchen (22 g of protein)
Vegan Tempeh Hash
This one-skillet vegan tempeh hash is the perfect dish for brunches or meal prep. It’s filling, healthy, and easy to make!
Vegan Tempeh Hash by Cozy Peach Kitchen (17 g of protein)
Vegan Pasta Frittata
Creamy tofu makes an excellent and nutritious vegan frittata. This one’s loaded with tender pasta and your favorite veggies.
Vegan Pasta Frittata by My Quiet Kitchen (28 g of protein)
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
This delicious vegan breakfast burrito is filled with tofu scramble, potato, beans, avocado and more. A great hearty vegetarian breakfast!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito by Be Plant Well (16 g of protein)
Crustless Vegan Quiche
This Crustless Vegan Quiche is made with Silken Tofu and packed with protein! Perfect for weekend brunch or healthy breakfasts.
Crustless Vegan Quiche by Home Cooked Roots (15 g of protein)
Veggie Breakfast Burrito Bowl
Roasted mushrooms, tangy cilantro lime quinoa, eggy tofu scramble, lots of fresh vegetables, and a dollop of salsa make up this delicious veggie burrito bowl! Meal prep this easy to make vegan breakfast in advance so you can eat healthy breakfasts all week long!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito Bowl by Stacey Homemaker (17 g of protein)
Vegan Breakfast Bowl
Easy, delicious, and wholesome. This Tofu Scramble Vegan Breakfast Bowl is a healthy way to start the day! This recipe is Vegan, and gluten-free.
Tofu Scramble Vegan Breakfast Bowl by Jar of Lemons (15 g of protein)
High Protein Vegan Breakfast Pancakes and Waffles
Who doesn’t love pancakes, waffles and French toast?! Well, you can enjoy your sweet morning fluffy pancakes while still packing in the protein with a few ingredient modifications.
Vegan High Protein Chickpea Waffles
Super fluffy & crispy high protein vegan chickpea waffles that are also gluten-free & healthy! They are freezable too & super easy to make.
Vegan High Protein Chickpea Waffles by My Plantiful Cooking (19 g of protein)
Lentil Rice Pancakes (Adai)
Adai is a delicious and healthy protein-rich rice and lentils pancake from the South Indian cuisine. Various greens or veggies can be added in adai to make it more healthy and nutritious.
Lentil Rice Pancakes (Adai) by Veg Recipes of India (15 g of protein)
Banana Peanut Butter Sandwich
Who said that peanut butter sandwiches had to be 1) boring 2) just for kids and 3) the same every time? Sometimes reinventing a classic is just what you need to get out of a rut. This high protein sandwich is made vegan with peanut butter, sliced bananas, crunchy walnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Banana Peanut Butter Sandwich by The Picky Eater (16 g of protein)
I hope you were able to find some inspiration to include more plant protein in your breakfast!
Check Out These Other Simple Vegan Recipes!
If you have tried any of these recipes, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious, healthy, family friendly food!