There is something about no-bake treats that I can’t get enough of. And I love the idea of energy balls, but I prefer to call them truffles, because doesn’t truffles sound so much better than “energy balls”? Energy balls sound like something you’d eat after a workout, something that’s super healthy, but maybe not so decadent.
Not the case with these little guys.
They are rich little bites of heaven. You can’t even tell that they are packed with the healthiest ingredients: light and fluffy quinoa, sweet dates, gooey peanut butter, and chia seeds to hold it all together. And the best part is they are vegetarian, vegan and gluten free — and if you have a peanut allergy you can just substitute the peanuts for almonds or any other nut.
You can enjoy them as a dessert or a snack – and they will keep well in the fridge for at least a week!
Nutritional Info Per Serving: 90 Calories, 5.4g Fat (0.8g Saturated), 45.5mg Sodium, 9g Carbs, 1.7g Fiber, 4.4g Sugar, 3.1g Protein
- 1/2 cup uncooked truRoots® Organic Sprouted Quinoa
- 1/2 cup cocktail peanuts
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (about 13)
- 1/2 cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 tbsp. truRoots® Organic Chia Seeds
- 2 tbsps. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tsp cinnamon sugar (make cinnamon sugar by combining 4 tsp granulated sugar with 1 tsp ground cinnamon)
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Cool slightly.
- Process peanuts in food processor until coarsely ground. Add dates. Process until finely chopped. Add 2 cups cooked quinoa, peanut butter, chia seeds and cocoa pulsing just until combined.
- Shape into 24 balls. Roll in cinnamon sugar. Place into candy cups or baking cups, if desired. Chill.
I recently partnered with truRoots because I absolutely love their mission: they create Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project® Verified and gluten-free sprouted grains and legumes – while maintaining relationships with farmers, providing transparency in their supply chain, and supporting sustainable farming practices. They sent me some of their products to try, and I’ve included them in this recipe!