So for the record, Layla wasn’t a huge fan of green beans when I first made them for her. She’d gag, cough, make faces… it was actually kind of entertaining even though she wasn’t very happy with me for giving her green beans 🙂
But green beans are so great for babies! They are rich in vitamin A and fiber, and they’re a green veggie which helps get babies used to not-so-sweet things. I’d recommend using organic frozen green beans for this recipe – it’s the easiest prep and clean-up wise.
My trick for getting Layla to eat green beans: mixing them with whole milk organic yogurt! It sounds gross, but for some reason she loves it.
1 ice cube = 1oz of food!
- 2 bags organic frozen green beans
- Water for pureeing (use as much as you need for the consistency you want! start with 6oz and work your way up).
- Place the green beans in a steamer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain green beans and place in blender with water.
- Puree until smooth.
- Pour into ice cube trays, allow to cool, wrap/cover, and freeze.
- Thaw in the fridge the night before use, or thaw by putting the ice cube in a bowl over a bowl of hot water on the counter to defrost.
Spice up your baby's food! Try green beans with garlic powder, or mix with yogurt.