I love making fruit smoothies for Layla. It’s a great way to get a bunch of fruits into her diet at once, and they are super easy to make at home (and in bulk). You can do a bunch of things with them: mix them into oatmeal for breakfast, turn them into mini popsicles for a snack, or use them for “dessert” at the end of the day.
The basic principle for making them is:
1) Throw a bunch of fruits into a large pot, simmer for 10 minutes
3) Pour into ice cube trays or store in the fridge up to 5 days. Serve in a variety of ways!
This particular one I happened to make was: 2 Organic Fuji Apples, 2 packets frozen Organic Wild Blueberries, 2 packets frozen Organic Mangoes and 1 banana.
Other mixes I’ve come up with:
– Cherry, Peach, Mango
– Blueberry, Apple, Pear, Banana
– Pear, Apple, Prune
– Papaya, Pear, Banana, Apricot
– Peach, Apricot, Banana
But honestly, any mix of fruits will work great! You can also throw some spinach into the mix for a “green smoothie.” Once it’s in the ice cube trays it looks like this:
Each cube = 1oz of food! I usually mix 5 cubes into 2oz oatmeal for Layla’s breakfast each morning.
- 2 packets frozen organic blueberries
- 2 organic fuji apples, cored and cut into big pieces
- 1 banana
- 2 packets frozen organic mangoes
- Add blueberries, apples, mangoes to a pot, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and add banana
- Puree until smooth
- Pour into ice cube trays, wrap, and freeze.